When we post something on social media, it moves from the private to the public domain. What you publish is widely accessible and it will be around for a long time – the internet never forgets, and your digital footprint can serve as a source for journalists. Therefore, whilst Almi Tankers S.A. recognises that social media increases opportunities for communication; it can also pose a threat to Company reputation.
This Social Media Policy is designed to provide helpful, practical advice for employees on the use of social media. Social media refers to websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Snapchat, Instagram etc.).
This Social Media Policy applies to all Almi Tankers S.A. employees who make use of social media, whether or not they are gaining access to it via Almi Tankers S.A. equipment/networks and whether or not they are using it during working hours. Please be aware that violation of this policy may be grounds for disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
• Think Before You Post Your views and actions online can impact Company reputation. Think twice before sharing images or videos of Almi Tankers S.A.’s assets, particularly ships, facilities or people in uniform. Avoid violating the privacy of fellow seafarers, co-workers or sharing confidential Almi Tankers information online.
• Get it Right Never share inaccurate information about the Company. If you are unsure of the accuracy of what you are about to share, check with the DPA and/or the Communications Department before posting.
• Be Respectful Always treat others in a respectful and positive manner. Never use social media as a platform to harm, insult, threaten, defame or embarrass others.
• Be Yourself If it’s clear who you work for, you should also make it clear your views are your own; use a disclaimer if necessary, for example, “The postings on this page are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of the company that employs me.”
• Follow Official Communication Channels During an incident, respect all official communication channels and do not post comments, photographs, videos or any other relevant content online.
• Adjust your Privacy Settings Be smart about protecting yourself, your privacy, and Almi Tankers S.A.’s confidential information. You should only allow access to those you really want to share information with.
• Report Potentially Harmful Material If you find defamatory commentary about the Company on social media forums please inform the DPA and/or the Communications Department, who can respond appropriately.